Thursday, June 9, 2011

Apricot Chicken

I found this dish on a fun site, Simply Recipes, and I followed it almost to a tee, making just a few of my own tweaks. It was a little bit of an adventurous dish for me, I didn't know if I (or my family!) would be a fan of fruity chicken... but to my surprise it was a real treat- a really different dish, really unique and exotic flavors. I will definitely keep this recipe on hand for apricot season, a fun way to incorporate fresh, seasonal fruit into dinner time!

Ingredients:
1.5 lbs. of fresh apricots (6-8 apricots depending on the size)
2 lbs. of chicken tenders or breasts
1 TBSP honey
2 TBSP apple cider vinegar
3 TBSP expeller pressed coconut oil
1 onion, chopped
2 cups chicken broth
1 TBSP fresh rosemary, chopped
3/4 tsp cinnamon
1/8 tsp curry
s & p

Directions:
First chop your apricots and set them in a bowl adding the honey and vinegar, stir well and let them sit while you brown your chicken.
Next, warm 2 TBSP oil in your skillet and add your chicken, seasoning it with s & p and cooking it until it's browned on both sides. Then remove your chicken to a separate dish and set aside.
Next, chop your onion and add another TBSP of oil to your pan, sauteing your onion until it's browned. Once your onion is browned, turn down your heat to medium and add your chicken broth, cinnamon, rosemary, and curry. Take 2/3 of your apricots and put them in the blender or food processor and blend them to a thick, chunky consistancy and add them to the simmering sauce and let them simmer for 10 minutes. Lastly, add your chicken and remaining apricots back and let simmer for another 5 minutes until it thickens up.


Serve over a bed of brown rice or Trader Joe's Brown Rice Medley.

Note: I used apriums because I had them from my CSA box and they worked wonderfully, had a little bit more of a tangy flavor (because an aprium is a cross between an apricot and plum) so either would work well!

No comments:

Post a Comment